We occasionally splurge on a Longaberger basket (or two) for around our house.....but they're too darned expensive to get overly excited about them. Jenesa's aunt is a top salesperson (and basket fanatic) recognized by the company back in Easton, Pennsylvania. We decided this was well worth a visit while we were in Ohio.....and, it was one of the highlights of our trip!
Well, where should I begin. The Longaberger Homestead is basically a gigantic basket outlet. It features stores, gift shops, and restaurants that sell.....baskets!!! The Homestead also includes the Longaberger Basket Factory where the baskets are weaved, woven, and weally expensive!
The best part about this visit was we got to make our very own Longaberger basket from scratch! We decided it would be a nice gift to our mother's if we each personally made a basket and sent it home from the factory! Only $39.95+S&H! What a bargain (note my sarcasm!).
I think I skipped taking "Basket Weaving 101" in high school and college, so I was a little reluctant to begin this adventure. We were taught the basics and mentored throughout the project by one of the factory workers. I wasn't sure how this would look back home when my friends saw me weaving baskets on this roadtrip! I did get to use a hammer! So I guess that adds a little "manliness" to this job.
Jenesa seemed to enjoy every second of her basket project. I think she even broke a sweat! But, in the end, each of our mother's received a beautiful, hand-crafted basket from us for Christmas! We even signed our names on the bottoms of the baskets like they do with the real Longaberger's! :)
Goodbye, Longaberger Homestead!



0 comments:
Post a Comment